- Ready-made resources for the new role of parent support adviser
- Includes material to use with staff and parents
- Covers key issues such as attendance and confidentiality
The important new role of parent support adviser (PSA) creates huge opportunities for schools to promote and support the home–school relationship, particularly in areas such as attendance.
Give your PSAs a helping hand
Help your PSAs – give them instant access to guidance on the challenging issues they face in their ever-expanding role. Parent Support offers valuable material that PSAs can distribute to all those who work with parents.
Support PSA training
Parent Support can be used as preparation for those studying for the parent support endorsed pathway of the level 3 Support Work in Schools vocational qualification. It is also an ideal aide-memoire for those who have received PSA training.
Support all your staff
It is crucial that all school staff – not just PSAs – have access to comprehensive information on how to work with parents. Parent Support provides flexible materials which can be used by all staff as and when they need them.
A flexible resource
Parent Support provides guidance and support on key topics, especially in areas which may fall outside the normal remit of many school staff. These include:
- Context –The rationale behind schools supporting parents.
- Duties – The duties, rights and responsibilities of parents.
- Policies – Policy-making involving parents.
- Liaising –Guidance on communicating with parents.
- Involving –Involving parents in school.
- Parenting –How to advise parents on their parenting skills.
- Attendance – Working with parents to improve school attendance.
- Consulting – How to consult parents effectively.
Parent Support is provided in a Web browser interface that can be shared by all staff in your school. All the material can be viewed onscreen or printed out on demand. It offers a range of digital material including:
- handy checklists for auditing current practice
- presentations to use during INSET
- attractive handouts to give to parents
- editable digital files to be adapted for a school’s particular circumstances
- reference material
- sources of further information, further reading and useful Web sites.
Use with school staff
Example policies, audits and checklists are provided which can be used by headteachers, subject managers and support staff to improve the school’s work with parents. Materials include:
- guidance on home-school agreements
- audit of parental involvement
- sample statements and policies
- policy review checklists
- questions parents ask when choosing a school.
Use with parents
Sample handouts for parents, which can be adapted for your school’s own use, include:
- helping your children learn
- ways to get involved in school
- your rights and responsibilities as a parent
- how to prepare for a parents’ evening
- tips for improving behaviour and discipline
- confidentiality at school
- parents’ guide to school attendance.
Gather parents’ views
The price for secondary schools is £395+VAT. The price for primary schools is £195+VAT. All schools also receive Evaluate - Parents. Please specify the number of year groups (eg Year 1 to Year 6) in your school, and whether you would like Evaluate to include questions on ethnicity and additional educational needs.
Get in touch
For more information, please call 01223 350555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.